Hey guys!! This post will be a collaboration with the BF, how exciting right? So I will post my 5 tips, and then he will post his 5 tips over on his blog. So make sure you check it out after reading this!
They say that distance makes the heart grow fonder, but I have never understood that more than when the BF moved away to attend Veterinary school. Long distance relationships are hard work! Super duper hard work! It’s lonely, and it’s a club that only people in long distance relationships could understand. I am by no means an expert on the matter, but I will give you guys a brief background on my relationship, and some tips that have worked for me for keeping the love alive.
The BF and I will have been together for 7 years next month…HOLY SHIT is that so?!! Wow time is just flying by. We started dating while in high school, and have been doing long distance for most of college. After getting his Bachelor’s degree in pre-vet, he unfortunately moved away to Michigan to attend Veterinary school. I guess that it’s not so unfortunate because he’s making everyone so proud, but I miss him! He is currently finishing up his third year of Vet school and will be graduating next year. This means that we have not celebrated Valentine’s day or our anniversary in the past 3 years. Actually that’s a lie. We have celebrated because we send each other presents and I send him some care packages. We just haven’t been together and been able to celebrate in person. You know what I’m saying.
So it’s been a tough few years, but here are a few tips to help:
1. It’s easier to get into fights because tension and stress builds and you take it out on each other because you miss each other so much. Whenever this happens, just take some time to calm down, then call each other and apologize, say “I love you” and move on. If you are in one of those moods where you know that you will blow up at your significant other when you talk, then just don’t pick up the phone and send them a message instead.
2. Communicate on a daily basis!! Make sure to talk on the phone everyday!!! Yes and I mean actually talking! This may seem a bit excessive, and maybe it is, but this is what we’ve been doing and it keeps us connected. Always talk even if it’s just to say “Hi, I love you, bye”. My BF and I have only gone one day in the past 3 years without talking on the phone. I always complain to him that I wish he had texting so that we could text, but I am actually glad that he doesn’t…he’s weird. Once you start texting all the time, talking on the phone sort of goes by the wayside and you rely on texting instead. No matter how annoying all the phone calls get sometimes, I really happy about them. You don’t always have something new to say, but say hi and just always communicate!!
3. Pictures!! And no I don’t mean dirty ones either. Make a photo album or scrapbook with pictures of yourself and the things that have mattered to you in the time that you are apart, then send it in a care package. My BF’s favorite presents to get from me are pictures of me and things that I crafted myself. It always means so much more when you take the time to make it, having your honey specifically in mind.
4. Speaking of care packages, make sure you send a few of those! It’s especially important if your love is away from home. I like to include some of his favorite candies because he has a super sweet tooth, something that I made specifically for him, a card/letter, maybe even a stuffed animal that I sprayed with my perfume. This way he has some pieces of home and me with him. Plus it’s always fun to receive packages from someone you love. It shows that you still think of them and took the time to do that just to make them happier.
5. Always show support for your love! You are both doing things that will better your lives together in the future, so support your love in all their endeavors because they need it. They miss you just as much as you miss them, maybe even more! Let them know on a regular basis how proud you are of them!
No matter how long you’re apart, just remember what it will be like when you finally see each other and fight to make it work. Being in a long distance relationship makes you see the bigger things and the stupid things that you used to fight about just falls by the wayside. You realize that not everything is a big deal, but maybe that’s just part of growing up. Maybe a bit of both.
The BF started Clinicals this semester, which means that he’s now working 12 hour days in the hospital taking care of patients and doing surgeries on a regular basis. Most importantly, however, it means that he doesn’t get a summer vacation anymore. Which means that he will not be coming home during the 4 months on summer :(. I also go to school and work full time, so this next year will definitely be the toughest for us because we will not be able to talk or see each other as much as before. I’ll make sure to keep you guys updated on how we are dealing with these new challenges.
If you are reading this and are currently in a long distance relationship or have been in the past, let me know how you have dealt with it and share some tips on keeping it sexy from afar!
Don’t forget to check out the other half of this post from my other half! https://quietthinker1.wordpress.com/2015/02/14/on-long-distance-relationships/
HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY LOVES!!
Love always, Weezybaby!